Thread: A King/Odin update

Default A King/Odin update

Hi all. Finally have a few minutes spare to post an update on my two

I've now had King 10 years, and Odin is rising three. It's all a bit mad really...

I did a massive update about King a few months back but sadly they forum glitches and it died so I'll do a bit if a recap for anyone not on fb...

Last year we decided we had gotten him as correct as we could with schooling alone and his hindlimb performance needed some investigation. Very simly it looked like he just had sever arthritic changes to his left hock (I think from compensating for an old injury to his right leg from before I got him). We medicated and bish we thought that was it...

He then mysteriously went lame at the front. Something he proved today we've still not solved, but rather we manage it. 'all' they could find we're bone cysts in both front feet, bigger in the left which was impinging on the coffin joint cartilage - more so with the wedges my farrier tried to help fix his issues.

Again, we medicated and took his shoes off. By this point I pretty much decided I was going to turn him away for the winter and see what happened. He wintered poorly, went a funny shape and had mud fever almost constantly. Then a vile smell started coming from his bits, with a nice added drip. Our, by now tame! Vet came to have a look at the lameness and we both almost agreed the smell was just an infection and she was going to leave me antibi's. We both decided just before she left however that it was worth sedating him and double checking that was the problem... When we did, we both were astounded (and baulked! Never a good sign when your vet baulks...)

He had a tumour, the size of an orange growing on his sheath, probably about 10" from the tip (just below the softer part) which was very raw and rank. (I do have a photo but I will post as a link so you're not forced to look. It's grim...)

Long story short, we decided to operate with the promise that if the cancer had spread we would not bring him round (omg I was a mess!) In the intervening week we had some family photos taken "just in case" and off he went to the vets. He was operated on, and my wonderful best friend helped me come and collect him on the following Monday, less than a week post op!! He then had almost a month of box rest, with 1 minor infection, before returning to field rest. Mid Feb I started to walk him out to start getting his body to function again.

My friend then helped me find a lovely lady who has since been helping me rehab him. We started with her in March and have been seeing her every 2 weeks since. We solely long reined for 3 months, building up the time, the paces and what we asked each week. Honestly, I can't recommend this method of rehab enough. We started ridden work about 2 months ago, and he's honestly never felt better. Weve always wondered about his sheath, it's never been clean... I now wonder if those growths have always been there and bothered him? Definitely interesting!

Anyway, we are now tentatively making plans, I bought a horsebox to facilitate these plans (squee, 15 yrs of waiting!) And we are now generally enjoying life. We went to attempt a dressage test last month, came stone last but got a special rosette, which after everything seemed wholly appropriate.

My next goal is the beach with my best friend in September

Photos!!
    One of the first rides we did

End of our test

Hacking with my friends dales, our first trip out in the box

This is the difference. We found the tumour on the 12th Jan...

Him and odie are now friends... Ish!

Odie hasn't done masses. He's 3 in October, and going to his second show on Monday, which will also be his second attempt at travelling alone - the first time my friend took me to agility, mostly so he could something low pressured.

I have to say he was a gem all day ( will add photos later) and just a bit noisy.

He's off to another show on Monday for his first youngstock class which should be good - it's still novel wanting to go to a show, entering and going. Very cool!
    He tried his bridle on again today.

And although his head looks a tad baby there's he's well and truly chunked the last few weeks. Today measuring at 16hh

Discussing with my long lining lady yesterday she agreed he's mentally ready to start some ground work and play with being tacked up, so we are starting to give that a go and will see where he goes. I'm in no rush, but he's starting to tell me he wants a job so he can start doing a few bits and bobs

Anyway, that's all from us for now. I hope everyone else is well. Nice to see the forum a bit more buzzy too!!

What an update!!

Can you post the link I'm intrigued

Odie looks amazing!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Default A King/Odin update

Yes here it is.

WARNING. GRAPHIC IMAGE

http://tinypic.com/r/dv0gx/9
    Last edited by KingCavala..; 25-08-2017 at 19:57.

Not getting the link to work but gosh, you have had a lot on your plate. So pleased it is all coming good now x

Wow sounds like you've had a lot going on, however well done on the dressage - must feel good getting him back out after all you've been through! He looks amazing now.

Thanks guys. I'm so chuffed with his progress. The tumour was cancerous - squamous cell carcinoma - so I'm now looking at everything I do as a bonus, and every day we have too.

I'm very lucky that my OH adores both boys and has been very involved in every part of the journey, along with my wonderful friend and saddle fitter.

Periodically I'm overwhelmed by how close we were to making the final decision, to not operating. Then I look at him - the oldest horse on the yard, who is also the fittest! I know that we made the right decision for him. For now.

Honestly I'm dreading winter, but my wonderful YO has agreed I can put a fence pen up outside my stable so he has plenty of room to move overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links not working but I'm glad he is on the mend

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Heavens!! What a lot to have gone through!! They are both looking utterly fantastic though!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.