Thread: Markings on a bay...

Default Markings on a bay...

Buster has some markings I've not seen before... he has stripes on the back of his front legs and a dorsal stripe 🤔

Any idea why this is the case? Does it have a name? Should it be on his passport?

On a side note, can I change the company he is passported with if I wanted?

Will post pics in next comment as can't figure how to do it from here?

Those are primitive markings. Created by the Dun gene - although its more complicated than that as theres 2 types of Dun gene. Even I can't get my head around it all. Whats his breeding? That may hold some clues as to why he has the markings.

Cant answer the question about passports but I would think its not impossible. Theres probably hoops to jump through and i'm not sure you could register him with a specific breed society unless you have his breeding?

Thanks! Dam was branded Hanoverian, not sure on sire, all I know is he was 16.2 hh hunter.

I don't want to register him with a breed specifically maybe just a different general passport supplier?

I would imagine you could register with a different passport supplier but I think they would likely expect a new vet drawing and so it could be costly and a bit of a nuisance. Depends if it is worth it?
    If you wanted to know his true colour I would colour test him? As I recall it is 20 per colour you want to test for, but they do look like the primitive markings of dun as Steph has said! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Some of mine have those markings. They are dun.