Thread: Round up of the end of our 2017 season

Default Round up of the end of our 2017 season

We had our last two shows in September. Its been a very busy full on year and I was flagging a bit! To make it easier on B with travelling we stayed over the night before at both shows. The first was a championship show at Bury Farm that Smallhunter and B qualified for back in April. It was under new management with a different format so much harder to get in the Supreme. We went with very little expectations and spent a freezing night in a tent ( I am getting to old for camping!) B had a lovely warm stable indoors!I plaited her up the night before because as I was also plaiting my friends youngster in the morning, he was in the first class of the day so I was up at silly o`clock. Smallhunter and I helped get him ready, make-up, shine and whiteners . B was doing the in-hand and Ridden Veteran and Ridden odd coloured. She won the in-hand Veteran! Then under a different judge came second in the ridden Odd-coloured We only had the ridden Veteran to go and the weather turned it was awful. She went foot perfect and the judge pulled her in first the she reminded smallhunter to go forwards for the ridden championship so we knew she liked her. There were all the first and seconds from the Riding horses, Hunters, Cobs, coloreds etc forwards. Smallhunter did a fantastic job with setting B up on the go round culminating in an amazing gallop! It was one of the best in the championship. Judge pulled her Reserve Champion Smallhunter was OVER THE MOON! I shrieked! They had got into the Supreme for the 2nd year running. Judge said to Grace that B just got better and better each time and she had not seen a 20 with such clean legs & looked half her age.

to be cont....

So the last show was Royal Berkshire a second round veteran class which B and Smallhunter qualified for at Royal Windsor. They were entered in the in-hand and ridden veteran. Again we traveled over the night before left the yard at 5pm and got to the showground in the dark after a detour where we got lost! Got B sorted first , put in her allocated stable (I had plaited her up before we left) and then sorted our sleeping arrangements out. This time we were sleeping in the back of the 3.5t lorry on an air bed.It was still freezing cold I had made a homemade beef stew to heat up and eat for dinner which was in a dish on my lap all the way there, it leaked on my trousers! I then realised in the morning that I had forgot to pack clean trousers so stank of beef stew all day Every one and their granny was there as this was the penultimate qualifier for the final at Olympia. The classes were big and strong, lots of previous Olympia finalists and ex HOYS horses and ponies. We didnt think we had a hope in hells chance! In-hand was first , I thought B and smallhunter MIGHT get placed, they were pulled in 2nd! The pony that beat her was a previous finalist and went on to qualify the following week. The ridden class was even tougher 14 forwards and four previous Olympia finalists. B went really well on the go round (there is no pull in order) so they were down the line. Individual show started well then change the rein to canter and B wrong legged it! (I blame it on the rider who was half asleep) Smallhunter very quickly corrected it and finished the set show. I honestly didnt think they would get placed so when they call in reverse order number such and such 6th (previous finalist) I thought that was it, wasnt even watching when they pulled B and Smallhunter in 5th !

So thats Smallhunter and B`s first full year of affiliated Veteran showing, Its exceptionally hard to qualify for Olympia harder than qualifying for HOYS but they have given it their best shot and come very close. So now we all have a rest , B will mostly hack and chill and look scruffy until season 2018.

She looks fab.
    You've had a good end to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstys View Post
    She looks fab.
    You've had a good end to the season.
    Thank you, very pleased with the end of season results.